For those who have failed in reading the bible in one year, there's hope. Try seven...

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Confessions...

Verse 21 in Chapter one has been stuck in my head.

21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.

I have been reading The Confessions of St. Augustine and the first chapter of Romans ties in well with the quote I want to share:

"The promise of satisfaction in worldly loves is an enduring lie that moves the soul to unfaithfulness to its proper lover. We listen, because it is a pleasent untruth, until we are defiled."

It has been a so true in my life. I have known God yet refused to give thanks or glorify him. My pursuit of worldly loves has come up empty. I walked around much of the summer with "love deeply" and "give thanks" written on my wrists and I have seriously thought about tattooing them there. I am so excited for the challenge of the next 7 Years. Good grief. It is such a long time. Yet so worth it in the end. Let us press on to know the LORD (Hosea 6:1-3).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home