For those who have failed in reading the bible in one year, there's hope. Try seven...

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

SevenYears

I think this might actually work... still not as techno-savvy as I pretend to be, apparently.

So, Isaiah. Staggering. I've been drawn to it over the past few weeks as we've been working through the Advent liturgy at church, and as I've been listening to Handel's Messiah in a failed attempt to get into the Christmas spirit (whatever that is). It's a pretty amazing text, and I find that I'm really enjoying reading large chunks of it at once. You really get a feel for the epic, sweeping quality of the oracles, and in certain spots you get to see the incredible, proactive, pursuing compassion of God for His people, and in the next moment, His hurt, frustration, and anger as they turn from him. A beautiful portrait of the character of God, and an insightful glimpse into the kind of things that he is worried about.

I've spent a lot of time in the past year thinking about Christian social action, and re-reading Isaiah with that new set of eyes brings out stuff in the text that I hadn't focused on in the past. It starts early - think about the number of times in Chapter 1 where God focuses on Israel's evil treatment of orphans and widows as one of the sins that makes their offerings detestable to Him. Someone mentioned a dissatisfaction with the American church because of their/our 'buddy Jesus' mentality - and I agree. Personally, I am also dissatisfied with their/our limited focus on certain specific sins, (especially those that have to do with personal piety and sexual morality) while largely ignoring others. It is a sin to ignore the pleas of the widows and orphans, just as much as it is a sin to lust after a woman who is not your wife. I've spent a lot of my Christian life fretting about the one, while basically ignoring the other. I like Isaiah because it helps me develop a Biblical picture of true righteousness, instead of an over-whelmingly culturally conditioned one.

Also, and this is one of the many benefits of jumping back and forth between New Testament and Old, you have Paul's use of many of Isaiah's quotes in Romans fresh in your mind. Now we get to see them in their original context, which can expand our understanding of why Paul chose them, and what that means for us as Christians. The one I'm thinking of is early - ch1, vs 9. Paul quotes it in Romans 9. Pretty intense stuff, not easy to understand. But for the thinking Christian, something that needs to be looked in the eye and dealt with. What does this actually mean? How does it apply to Israel, and to us? Difficult, but exciting to think about.

Just a few initial thoughts.

Also, my computer at work now allows me to access blogspot.com stuff, where it didn't before. So I will have much more frequent access to the site.

Peace in Jesus,
Seamas

4 Comments:

Blogger patrick said...

Seamas, thank you for your post. You said some things that are not easy to apply. The first question that comes to mind is, "Even if I had the balls to apply this to my life, where would I start?"



I love how you connected stuff going on in Isaiah to the church. The church must be the context for our application. It must be the place in which we apply what we learn or else we will not be aligned with the interest of God and his Son. Christ's love is for his bride, the church. If you view this as meaning some universal church that just means all the believers in the world then I would beg you to reconsider such a costly assumption in light of scripture.

Seamas, you mentioned the bit about the widows and orphans. 1 Timothy 5 talks in length about the church caring for the widows and orphans. This passage assumes that you understand that it is a mandate to be a part of a local church. How else did you think you would effectively carry out the commands of 1 Timothy 5 to care for widows and orphans as a church? Could the universal church even conceivably carry out such a command?

We are so easily distracted from Christ, from the gospel! The local church is amazing because it makes this so much easier for us. It gives a context for our lives, a place to actually live out the commands of scripture, and people alongside whom we can remain accountable. I think it would be wise for all of us going through this study for seven years to be constantly evaluating and reevaluating our involvement in the local church. Christ laid his life down for the church. Are we doing the same? The Holy Spirit gives each of us gifts for what? For the building up of his church. It would be pointless and largely unfruitful to read through the Bible in seven years and then to neglect the context for our life and application of all God is telling us. Keep in mind as you talk and think about the church, that you talking and thinking about Christ's bride. Yes, the church is a whore but Christ loves her and so should we. Does your church have things that are wrong with it? Could you see it being more effective in areas? The church is missing you. The church is missing your gifts. Until we have poured out lives completely for the church, then we basically have to shut up and stop complaining about Christ's bride. We need some to get some cahones and lay our lives down for her.

7:49 AM

 
Blogger Seamas said...

Patrick,

I find your focus on the local chuch interesting, and somewhat confusing. Do you draw a sharp distinction between the local church and the church universal? If so, what are the distinctive marks of a local church? What are the differences between a church and a gathering of believers?

From talking with you recently, I know that you are in a worshipping community which is healthy and encouraging to you. I am not in a place like that, and while I agree that it would be easier to live appropriately if connected to a healthier church, I'm not sure that it is any easier to remain focused on the gospel. I've been in healthy churches before, but they are not in and of themselves enough to keep attention on the gospel. I found that I placed my trust and faith in the power of the community, rather than in the power of the gospel around which that community was built. This was idolatry, and I was disciplined by God for it.

So I'll end with my first question: What is the local church?

In Jesus,
Seamas

4:14 PM

 
Blogger patrick said...

My comment was mostly aimed at people who don't think they need to be a part of a local church. There's nothing wrong with a "gathering of believers" which was the term that you used. A local church is a gathering of believers but it is so much more. A gathering of believers means about as much as a a gathering of college students. A gathering of college students could be accomplishing any number of purposes or most of the time no purpose at all.
A local church should have nine marks that characterize it and that they are pursuing. These are listed at the following link...

http://www.9marks.org/CC_Content_Page/0,,PTID314526|CHID616736|CIID,00.html

You will see that what is most important is that the local church reflects the character of God.

I will be honest and straight out agree with you that in the church I am in, which you know I love by the way, I am very tempted to fall in love with and worship the community itself rather than God, who is the Gospel after all. A verse from a hymn comes to mind...

"The bride eyes not her garment, but her dear bridegroom's face."

God lavishes the local church with gifts, garments that are beautiful and the temptation is to fall in love with the gifts themselves. This is idolatry. God's gifts are meant to be enjoyed but only sofar as we acknowledge that God himself is better than the gifts.

The only solution I would say is for the Gospel to become the church's garment in every way. Only then will it be harder to lose focus of the Gospel. I think you will see from the link and the nine marks, that they encourage this. The Gospel must define preaching, singing, church discipline, and on and on. You are right in identifying the Gospel as the hinge. It is central.

Yes, we can be legalistic and start choosing sides on how we define what a local church is and what isn't. This, however is not the side I think people tend to err on. Rather they err on believing that the local church can be anything they want and their commitment to the church is about as solid and stable as their definition of it is. Does the gathering of believers you have reflect the nine makrs and is it a place where you can be committed to other believers, tithe, excercise spiritual gifts, and may I mention find a beautiful girl who loves Jesus...then I would recommend going to such a church.
The Gospel however must be central as you point out or else we will soon find ourselves lost, miserable, and without hope.

2:57 AM

 
Blogger david said...

I understand both of your viewpoints here. I have been busy working in an organization that seeks to take care of the widows and the orphans, and I have found it interesting how quickly a shift comes from doing it in the name of Christ (and for Him) to dealing with the financial/political side of things. It becomes a "drag" in many ways. The fights come over issues and money and names and priorities in the groups, when the focus should be about Christ. This is where both service and the local church meet. National organizations don't adequately understand the rural issues. A small (or big, but small in compared to World Vision, I.C., etc.) active church should be involved with those around them.

SO often I have found myself asking, "How did things get here?" The challenge for me has been to lead those under me, keep them motivated, and move forward, while at the same time making Christ first, not becoming dulled in my fervor to lead them in the pursuit of Christ, and trying to re-emphasize that Christ remains the only thing of worth when all is said and done. I think we can see a problem in both our country, organizations and churches: The cutthroat divisions in pursuit of budget and recognition. We must be clothed in the Humility of Christ.
I think the nine points are a good description of what a church should be. How does that church balance the pursuit of Christ without politics with moments where a political stand is need (and not becoming ruled by it)? I guess that is where we must follow Christ's example by praying for unity among believers.
I know this is a ramble, but I am curious about your thoughts on the issues of "Social Justice" and Church action/individual action.

1:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home